Doom tokens are placed on the doom track on the Ancient One sheet in sequential order, starting with the space marked "1", and following until either the last space is filled and the Ancient One awakens, or the Investigators achieve Victory before this point.
During the Final Battle, doom tokens serve as the Ancient One's toughness. When the investigators inflict enough successful attacks on the Ancient One equal to the amount of players, a doom token is removed from the sheet. If all tokens are removed, the investigators achieve victory.
It is rare, but possible, to remove doom tokens before the Ancient One awakens.
Ways Doom Tokens may be added
- A gate opens while resolving a Mythos card, or a Mythos card says to add doom tokens.
- Certain encounters, both in Arkham or Other Worlds, can cause a doom token to be added.
- The Dunwich Horror can add a doom token if it is on the field.
- If a dimensional symbol is drawn on a Mythos card that has an open rift, a doom token is added.
Ways Doom Tokens may be removed
- Using an Elder Sign Unique Item when sealing a gate, or the Third Elder Sign Fragment or Parchment of the Elder Sign Exhibit Items
- Marie Lambeau can use a special ability to remove a doom token once a game. If she passes her Personal Story, she can do it another time.
- Tommy Muldoon passing his personal story will remove one doom token.
- Lily Chen and Norman Withers passing their personal stories will remove doom tokens if the Ancient One awakens.
- If Thomas Olney is gained as an Ally, but his Ally card is not available, a doom token is removed instead.
- Gaining William Bain as an ally will remove one doom token.
- Defeating the Barnabas Marsh monster in the Innsmouth Horror expansion will remove a doom token.
- The Cult Encounter The Chosen One gives the option of removing a doom token.