Ending the Game
The game ends in one of two ways: the investigators either overcome the mythos threat, or they are defeated by it.
The investigators win the game in any of the following three ways:
Close the gates
- An investigator must close the last open gate on the board, such that there are currently no open gates
- When the last gate is closed, the players must have a number of gate trophies equal to or greater than the number of players. These gate trophies do include the one just awarded for closing the last gate, but do not include any trophies the players have already spent.
Seal the gates
If at any time there are six or more elder sign tokens on the board, the players immediately win. The Ancient One is driven away and peace returns to Arkham.
Banish the Ancient One
If the Ancient One awakens but the investigators manage to defeat it, the players immediately win. The Ancient One is banished beyond time and space.
If the players achieve one of the preceding victory conditions, the investigators have defeated the mythos threat and saved Arkham. The player with the most gate trophies is awarded the honorary title of First Citizen of Arkham. In the case of a tie, the title goes to the player with the most monster trophies.
You can rate your victory by using the following scoring system.
- Start with the highest printed number on the doom track of the Ancient One.
- Subtract the terror level at the end of the game.
- Apply the following modifiers:
Comparing your scores
More scores from Arkham Horror players and teams can be found on the League page.
If the Ancient One awakens and defeats all of the investigators in battle, the space-time continuum ruptures, the Ancient One is unleashed, and all of mankind suffers for the investigators' failure. In this unfortunate event, all players lose the game.
With certain Ancient Ones, there may be other immediate defeat conditions.